Sunday, March 9, 2008

It All Stinks - Part II

Procter & Gamble (now P&G) company just messed with my shampoo for the last time. Like so much other stuff, they decided to increase the volume of the perfume in Head & Shoulders and change the scent so it smells like some fruity chemical. The last thing I need is for my head to smell like a fruity chemical, and to have the bathroom smell is just unnecessary. Goodbye Head & Shoulders.

So I embarked on a journey to find a shampoo without fragrance. That is a lot more difficult than it sounds. I did an online search and there were few choices, and none of them were sold through a local supermarket. I did check out the supermarket shampoo aisles, and that was intimidating at best. They had stuff to put in your hair to do just about everything except clean hair without fragrance. Even the so-called "all natural" and "organic" shampoos had some kind of fragrance. I had an idea - Whole Foods Market. Bingo. J/A/S/O/N organic fragrance-free shampoo. Interestingly enough, J/A/S/O/N's website doesn't show that they offer this product. However, it is exactly what it says. The only odor is a mild one that comes from its ingredients, and doesn't persist.

So in my online journey, I verified what I've been saying - more and more stuff is coming with more and more stink. Whether my reactions to them are a form of multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) or a result of my being a rebel who never signed-onto the ever-increasing amount of fragrance in everything is a big question. To me its no wonder that more and more people are complaining of headaches, bronchitis, and other respiratory ailments. These strong fragrances are yet another way that people are being over-stimulated to the point of adjusting to these smells as though they are "normal." Is it a good idea to change the concept of normal for things to have a strong smell, even if it needs to be added artificially?

It also begs a bigger question: Is this state of needing a constant odor, sound, taste, and sight stimulus a good thing or a bad thing? I admit to being highly sensitive in all my senses. To be over-stimulated can actually be irritating, and for me it is. For others, it isn't. While people who have become accustomed to the new "normal" level of stimulation do not become irritated by the stimulus (fragrance, for example), is this constant stimulus from all these artificially-added stimuli causing long-term harm to our health? While that question may never be answered scientifically, I feel that there is less appreciation for the many sights, sounds, and smells in a natural environment as a result of where we are now. At what point to we lose so much of that appreciation that nobody cares about nature anymore?

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Hi Mad Scientist, Being in the quiet most of the time now, I enjoy the solitude because I'm not bombarded with smells, sights and sounds and can focus. Btw, I have mcs and have started an online community of people wanting to switch to less toxic products. Feel free to take a look, ask questions, contribute. Have a look at the video I posted about fragrance. You're welcome to read or even join and post. http://chemicalsoup.ning.com