Monday, April 28, 2008

Minding Sunshine of the Eternal Spotless

Tonight I finally got to see the ending to "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." I saw two-thirds of the movie about 6 months ago, but that was about the same time that my DirecTV TiVo was doing weird things, and cut off this movie in the middle while it was recording, so I never saw the end of it.

Having now seen the movie in its entirety, I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it. I think the concept was good, but the ending was kind of weak. I also feel that putting part of the ending at the beginning was kind of contrived, and they would have been better not doing that. I think screenwriters think that having part or all of the end of the movie at the beginning is some kind of artistic genius, but it usually isn't. Seeing the end first also gives me sour flashbacks of a certain recent relationship I just got out of.

It wasn't a bad movie, but it isn't one I would buy so I could watch it again and again. Jim Carrey's presentation as Joel was actually good - despite what many people say about his acting.

A quotable quote from the movie that spoke to me is the following:
Joel: (entering into his journal) Random thoughts for Valentine's day, 2004: Today is a holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap.

Someone must have been listening to me somewhere.

No comments: