Thursday, August 21, 2008

More Silly Poems

After I entered the funny Woot poem into the blog, I realized I had some other silly writings from my past to pass along.

This one probably won't seem as silly as it does to electronic enthusiasts. I'll give it a go anyway. It was originally thought-up by someone I knew in third grade...
One electric day in the bright of the light
Two burned-out capacitors got up to fight.
Back-to-back they soldered each other
Until there was no more rosin core.

If you don't believe me,
Ask the dead speaker.
He heard it all.

This one was done by a good friend of mine in high school. The story goes like this: We made Nitrogen Tri-Iodide after school with the science teacher. NI3 is a relatively mild explosive, and we had heard stories about it but didn't know too many specifics about how it worked or what to expect. So we made a batch of it up and it's wet and was quite unimpressive. This friend of mine (we'll just call him "H") decided to put some wet NI3 in a piece of filter paper and bring it home with him. The next morning, H met me at the tree as usual on the way to school and sang the following song, done to the tune of Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem:
Oh nitrogen tri-iodide
It's stronger than you think.
It blows up oh so easily
It leaves no trace or stink.

Last night I took the sample
That I had in my room.
I gave it just a little tap
And that damn stuff went **BOOM**.

To complete the story, H then proceeded to tell me how his ears were still ringing from the explosion. When his parents heard it, they asked him what he was doing in his bedroom. He told his parents he was playing with balloons and one popped. Heh...yeah, right. When we did finally get to school and met the science teacher, he put the NI3 into the sink in the science prep office, and was getting ready to drop the drain plug onto the explosive. H and I walked away and held our hands on our ears. The science teacher says, "What are you guys afraid of? Yesterday you said you didn't think it would work!" and then proceeded to drop the stopper. Following the loud **BOOM** and the room filling with iodine gas, a couple of teachers ran into the room thinking the three of us finally blew ourselves up (our science teacher was kind of known for being a bit unusual). Nobody was hurt, but we did learn about unstable nitrogen-based compounds. Nitroglycerin is kind of like NI3 in many ways.

One more factoid about NI3: If you've ever watched "Brainiac: Science Abuse" (a silly British science show) and wondered what the exploding paste was, now you know...

No comments: