Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bridge to Terabithia

Tonight I saw "Bridge to Terabithia" - a Disney tear-jerker (2007) that actually is pretty good. I'm not sure that I would have opted for the sad twist in the plot (being purposely vague to not ruin this for someone who hasn't already seen the movie), but unfortunately it was probably the best way to transition the storyline.

While the events that happened in the imaginary land of Terabithia were a bit stretched in real life (even for a child's imagination), what moved me most were the interactions between Jess and Leslie. Having been the kid in school that everyone picked-on and who's interests were different from all the other kids and quite foreign to even my parents, the friendship that developed in the film was all too real. I recall trying to find that same kind of friendship, but unfortunately it never really materialized. Whether that only occurs in Hollywood or if it actually happens in real life is a mystery. You could see that the unique talents of both Jess and Leslie were of two people who were ahead of their time. It's hard for people nowadays to understand that having a passion for electronics (and later computers) was not a cool thing growing up in the late 1960s through the 1970s. Boys of that time were supposed to be into sports and that kind of thing. If my life were made into a movie the audience would have known by the mid 1970s that I was destined to build a telephone system as an adult, even though it wasn't obvious to the characters in the story at the time.

I don't think that anyone who has this kind of passion ever thinks about the world the same as everyone else does. To open one's mind to that extent, deriving a deep sense of gratification from something that nobody else around seemingly can understand, is a personality trait and not simply reserved for a specific skill. Take note of Leslie's comments (in the movie) when she had the discussion about religion. Call it a blessing, a curse, or a little of both, but to have a truly open mind you have to question everything around you, including what most people accept on faith.

Even though I've mentioned this to several people, I doubt anyone really took notice when I said that The Seekers' "A World Of Our Own" was a favorite song of mine. Anyone watching "Bridge to Terabithia" then listening to that song will realize what it is I imagine when I hear it. I'm not sure whether or not the person who wrote "A World Of Our Own" intended it that way, or if they were just opting for a sappy love song, but the former is how I always heard it.

"Bridge To Terabithia" is not one of those movies that I could watch again and again, but I definitely thought it was good, touching, and recommend it as a movie worth seeing.

3 comments:

Interceptor said...

I was just a bit disappointed in this movie, but that was less to do with the movie itself than it was to do with how different it was than the book it was based on. I vividly remember reading this book as a child because it's the only book that ever made me actually cry. It was exceptionally powerful, and while the movie packed some of the same punch, it just was not the same. (Though it still made Annette a bit teary eyed....)

JC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JC said...

I enjoyed the movie too, although it was a bit heavy. What I resented is that I was more or less 'forced' to watch it on a cross-country flight, trapped in a full airplane where there's lot of strangers that I'd just as soon not cry in front of.

If the airlines are going to force-feed us movies, can they please not be tear jerkers?

PS - removed my first post due to a glaring typo. I'm weird like that.