Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sick of being sick

As you've probably noticed, the postings kind of dropped off soon after the pizza posting. There was a reason for that...

Right before going away on vacation, I did something that my back didn't like. I can't go into any further detail because I don't have any idea what I did to upset it, the doctor can't figure it out, and my back won't tell me why it decided to give me problems. It got better before I left, so I felt, "Great! So much for that!"

About 2 days into my trip to NY, my back pain decided to return with a vengeance. Two days into what was supposed to be a relaxing time -- that is, something for me to unwind and forget about everything for a while. For the duration of my so-called "vacation" my upper back was in the most excruciating pain I have ever felt (large quantities of ibuprofen just took the edge off the pain). It has finally, as of a couple of days ago, started to get better. Yes, of course I went back to the doctor, and he was about as clueless about it as before I went away.

To add insult to injury - or should I say "injury to injury" - this past Wednesday afternoon (that's about 4 days ago) I came down with the bug they show in the NyQuil commercial - you know, the "coughing, sneezing, stuffy head, congested chest, perpetually tired but can't sleep, but can't think straight to do anything useful because you feel tired" bug. There is no one word illness that defines this bug (and "sucks" doesn't qualify as a medical term in this context). I've been off work since Thursday afternoon, and am missing at least a couple of activities with friends. On the 4th day of said life-sucking bug, I am just beginning to feel a little better. Maybe better enough to return to work on Monday. Whoopie.

Allow me to add one additional detail and that is that the pain in my back has somehow extended to my chest, so every time I cough (or laugh, sneeze, or blow my nose) my chest hurts. So I have been surviving on a cocktail of ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine (old fashioned Sudafed) and topping it with whatever medication seems to be around that may further ease the symptom of the day. For whatever reason, I have not ventured out to the supermarket to see if NyQuil actually works the way they say.

I was joking with a friend at work right before effectively being out for 2 days saying, "This must be God's revenge for all the stuff I wrote in my blog." Then I laughed, and my chest hurt.

In reality, I do believe my number was up - I have been overall pretty healthy. It has been a while since the last time I've had a really had a whammy like this one. Hopefully I've met my quota for feeling miserable for a while.

So this is why I haven't written much and maybe that's a good thing. Between the back and the "life sucking bug," I haven't had much of an opportunity to experience anything really wonderful. However, I do have one piece of information to pass along: If you're home sick, and TV becomes unbearable, try Pogo (http://www.pogo.com/). It's an online game site and they have a whole bunch of different games you can play by yourself or with others (like Scrabble, solitaire, blackjack, etc.). Most of the games use Java rather than Flash, so they work on just about any computer/OS.

1 comment:

Speck said...

I hope you feel better!