Sunday, December 7, 2008

Oldies

Going through some of the functions on the new TiVo HD I ran upon the Live365 radio station site. I did a search on "Oldies" and came upon an old favorite radio station from back up on Long Island: WLNG. Listening to WLNG is like taking a trip back in time - their format and style is much like the radio stations of the late '60s/early '70s.

Something surprised me when they played a song from the late 1980s and called the song an "oldie." Then I thought about that a little. The '80s are 20 years ago.

So what does 60s music now qualify as? Classical music? Classic rock? Thing is that music of the 80s is very different from that of the 60s, and even much of the 70s. When I think of "oldies" I think of music of the late 50s through the 60s.

Well, anyway, despite the song from the '80s (which turned out to be good anyway) it was fun to listen to WLNG again.

1 comment:

cpu said...

A comment on my own entry! Imagine that?!

Sometimes I just happen to say something at just the "right time." It turns out that The New York Times decided to do an article today on WLNG. It was so apropos, I am linking to it:

"RADIO; WLNG Found Its Style, And Is Sticking With It"