Monday, June 29, 2009

Accidental Discovery

In my quest to discover where the sun is located (ie. what latitude) in the sky at various times of the year, I accidentally came upon a web site that is unbelievably anchored in beliefs similar to my own. Unfortunately, what I originally set out to find was detoured by this discovery...

The web site is called arachnoid.com and is the work of Paul Lutus, who could best be described as an intellectual Jack-of-all-trades. As I started reading some of his essays, I finally found some amount of relief in the thought that my frustration is shared by other people in this world. As always, I encourage readers of this blog to explore on their own, instead of taking my digested view of what Paul is saying. While Paul has information on many subjects, my own curiousity leaned toward his world-view rather than the software he developed (imagine that). Some places of particular interest are...
  • How we confuse symbols and things - This closely follows my thought experiment about marriage from a few months ago and gets to the root of several of my beliefs, particularly regarding religion and government. I realize now why I sometimes have trouble communicating with people.
  • Asperger's By Proxy - While I'm not quite as negative about psychology as Paul obviously is, this essay is an example of how the blind assumption that psychologists have all the answers to what goes on in the mind can lead to horrible consequences. It also shows an example of clearly toxic, narcissistic behavior that I'm sure we have seen in someone we know.
Incidentally, while I discovered why the sky is dark at night (silly me, I said it was because the sun was shining on the other side of the Earth!), I didn't find out the latitude where the sun is located during various times of the year. What I was trying to determine is whether the position of the sun is hottest for Texas right now, or will it get slightly cooler (as the Earth's tilt effectively puts the sun closer to the south pole) then get friggin hot yet again as it comes closer to the latitude where Texas sits. I believe that the latter is probably correct, but I haven't yet found the information I have been looking for and I don't really want to spend any more time today doing this.

Suffice to say, when it's 105 degrees outside at the end of June, it is damn hot. When it is like that for over a week, it's really damn hot. Thank goodness for air conditioning ... speaking of that, Paul actually has an interactive graphic (java-based) that explains how a heat pump functions (any air conditioner is effectively a heat pump).

I'm taking off from work for a few days to recharge my mental batteries. Sometimes recharging one's batteries includes learning something new.

No comments: