Monday, August 10, 2009

Ketchup

Aside from movie reviews and complaints about Time Warner, I haven't said too much here lately. Part of that is because nothing much aside from "the usual" is going on, and partly because I haven't been up to writing much lately...

As a response to Speck's comment on August 4 to the Book of Faces posting (her response was actually in a different place) to my comment about trouble finding people with whom to share interests, which, in a short summary, was, "Have you tried finding groups of people that are as computer-minded as you?" The short answer is, "Yes, I have." However, the longer answer is that I am a lot more than just a one-dimensional person. Even if my interests were limited only to computers, the kind of things I do seem to be less fascinating to people (apparently) than being able to shake an iPhone and have it pick a restaurant for you (yes, to those who haven't been approached by someone touting all the wonderful things an iPhone can do to solve all life's problems, there really is an "app" that does just what I said...). It's picking random numbers, for heaven's sake. That was one of the first things I ever did with a computer! On the computer side of things, maybe I should appreciate the fact that few people actually know what in hell I'm talking about because it means I'll likely have a job for the foreseeable future.

I do have other interests, which have appeared here from time-to-time...musical tastes, seemingly watching lots of movies, driving in the country, interests in ideas for sustainable housing, and so on. So it isn't just computers. The problem is being able to share these things with others. Example: In Speck's posting "one more thing - I'm on a Boat" she says (in regard to The Lonely Island's "I'm on a Boat"), "It's fucking awesome! I've tried showing it to some people and they don't think it's funny." That's exactly the sentiment I'm talking about. You find something really cool and you get an ice cold response from the people around you (and, in this case, I believe I was one of those people, sorry!). There was a time I would make these "mix tapes" for people I knew, would talk about some of my crazy inventions, drag people along with me on my weird trips out to the middle of nowhere, and that kind of thing. Now? Not so much. Almost not at all.

In defense of both me and to "Speck" ... a disclaimer here is that we both know each other in person, and to be perfectly honest, she's probably one of the few people who actually isn't entirely afraid of either my musical tastes or drives out to the middle of nowhere....which probably explains her comment about the computer-related stuff.

Change of topic...

I know it's dumb to watch the game show "Deal or No Deal" on TV, but what puzzles me is how people on that show consider choosing random numbers to be some psychic experience. My favorite situation is when someone is choosing the high dollar values (meaning they're not going to win those) and Howie Mandel (the host) says, "You need to start choosing values from the left side." I want to yell at the screen, "Hey Howie! That's what the f**k I *AM* trying to do!" I actually want to go on that show sometime, pick briefcase number 1 as mine, and then choose every other case in order (so, the first six would be 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7) and keep going from there. It would drive the producers crazy...but the outcome wouldn't be any different. The dollar value of the amounts inside the briefcases are randomly sequenced. It doesn't matter which ones you choose, unless you have some idea of what is inside each case. In any event, I think I like watching the show (with my finger on the fast forward button) because I am fascinated by the amounts that the "banker" offers to buy the contestant's briefcase, and at what time one should stop picking random numbers and just take the darn offer. Guilty pleasure, I suppose.

Responding to JC, and her comments with regard to mine about body art. Yes, I think we're both saying the same things in different ways. I basically was saying, "to each their own," but at the same time saying, "there are some things that I just don't find attractive." I just think my view is a bit more narrow-minded than others, and apparently less narrow-minded than your Dad, and a lot less narrow-minded than my Dad (don't get me started). Just like with my other friends who are into the whole tattoo thing, there are a lot of things to admire about the person (in this case, you) well beyond the body art. I need to stop here though, my skin hurts thinking about all this...

Catching-up on Mental Shrapnel as well, I think people's behavior in airports and in airplanes speaks volumes about attitudes of people in general these days. I'm blessed this week with the barking dogs in the house 4 houses down that I'm pretty sure will be left mostly out in the back yard all week. These dogs are the ones I can hear clearly down the skylight starting at 7am and stopping at just after 9pm. Why someone would allow a person to care for their animals by throwing the animals in the back yard in 100+ degree weather for the day is beyond my comprehension. Why people smoke is beyond my comprehension. Why people act in airports and airplanes and, well, all over, like they're the only people on the planet and have no idea that there are other people around is also beyond my comprehension. At some time the idea of being considerate has been replaced with the message of "tolerance." I put that last word in quotes because what I'm talking about is not really what the whole concept of "tolerance" was about, but somehow has been warped to include that. Is being considerate of others a stone-age concept of the past? Is this just showing our age? Perhaps. Looking at the behavior of those around me indicates that the predominant attitude is that everyone is allowed to do what they want, and we just ignore those behaviors that bother us. Better? I don't know. I just know that it isn't the way things are in my world...and it won't ever be that way...

This past weekend I wanted to relax and get some stuff done, but alas I was stricken by an odd illness (?) that I can't really explain. One side of my tongue was sore (like my tongue got swollen and I bit it), and the pain extended down into my throat. By Saturday night I had a splitting headache. All I wanted to do all weekend was sleep, so that's mostly what I did (instead of doing what I wanted to do). I was feeling mostly better by the time I was due to go out to dinner on Sunday, and today (Monday) I'm fine again. I never had a fever (indicating an infection). Strange.

I need to get back to work now...

No comments: