Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Digitally Mine

The other day I was watching TV in real-time (so commercial-editing wasn't really an option). Most of the commercials suck, and are overplayed as well. I dislike the song in the GEICO commericals with the "eyes" so much that I've managed to hit the mute button even if I have to run halfway across the room. Vince still cracks me up when I see the Slap Chop (but he can keep his nuts away from me).

One notable commercial caught my attention though: It was one of the new iPod commercials. The song they played started out much like "Count Me In" by Gary Lewis & The Playboys, but it was clearly not. A few clicks on Google later, and I discovered it was "Bourgeois Shangri-La" by Miss Li. I took a look on amazon.com and, sure enough, it was available in MP3 format for a buck. I never ordered music on MP3 on amazon.com before, and the experience was mostly good (my closest experience before that was downloading songs from a semi-legal site in Russia). The only thing to be careful about with MP3s from Amazon is that some of the older songs are clearly re-records (or remakes), which is a sin if you're used to the original recording. I'll take pops and scratches over a remake any day. So anyhow, the sound quality of the MP3s is good, and is a good deal. It reminded me of the old days when I would go to the record store and buy single songs on 45RPM vinyl.

As for "Bourgeois Shangri-La" ... I actually did like the entire song as much as the snippet that was in the iPod commercial. What I discovered is that Miss Li is a Swedish artist and her LP (Dancing The Whole Way Home) is actually difficult to find in the US. While she clearly has an accent, the vocals are clear and understandable, and the song I was interested in also had a very interesting message as well. Imagine that: I actually got a music recommendation from a commercial.

For those interested (Tristin?), the other songs I ordered from amazon.com on MP3 were "Tighter, Tighter" (Alive 'N Kickin'), "Let Me Love You Tonight" (Pure Prairie League), "I'd Love To Change The World" (Ten Years After), and "Jam Up and Jelly Tight" (Tommy Roe). The remake I (accidentally) did order I won't mention because I was disappointed with it (wish I could get my money back, but it's only a dollar so it isn't so bad).

1 comment:

Interceptor said...

I had to go lookup the Slap Chop on Youtube....... Vince sure was excited!