Sunday, February 14, 2010

(500) Days Of Mar....Summer

Happy anti-valentines day.

I thought that in celebration of the day that the movie (500) Days of Summer was absolutely appropriate. Yes, it was. Funny that it was exactly what I expected, probably as touching, and bulls-eye on target with the past object of my affection. Perhaps the best line of the movie:
Tom's sister, Rachel: Look, I know you think that she was the one...but I don't. Now I think you're just remembering the good stuff. Next time you look back, I really think you should look again.

Excellent, excellent advice. Too many parallels to mention. If you're in a good relationship and you keep telling your single, depressed friends how they should just keep plugging along and eventually love will happen to them, then you probably won't like this movie much. If you're the one telling those same friends not to compromise their values, their feelings, their core self, and don't be crazy about someone who isn't truly crazy about you too, then you'll see the value of this movie. Finally, three of the funniest lines are at the very beginning, printed on the screen:
AUTHOR'S NOTE: The following is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Especially you, Jenny Beckman.

Bitch.

I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that. While not really uplifting, and not particularly educational, the movie was entertaining and insightful and realistic. I was actually waiting for Summer to say, "I'm never going to get married. I just really want to become an international businesswoman, jet-set all over the world, and have men serve me for a change." After which Tom would say, "Well, then it doesn't seem like this relationship has much of a future. Where do you see this all going?" Summer would answer, "Don't worry about it." That is my version of Tom's experience. When you see this movie, look for the equivalent. It will be clear as day. That was the day Tom should have said, "Have a nice life," and I should have as well. Hindsight is always 20/20...

I hate Valentines Day. It sucks, and I'm glad it's almost over.

No comments: