Friday, October 22, 2010

If you're not with us...

This morning I saw a bumper sticker:
Aren't you glad that your mother
was pro life?
This logic is about the same kind of logic is "If you're not with us you're against us."  Neither makes sense.  In fact, the bumper sticker is false - my mother is "pro choice."

People who are not anti-abortion (note the double-negative there) are not baby killing savages who are out having sex just to go through the abortion process (which is not pleasant, by the way).  They are people who believe in a woman's right to choose that method of birth control should it be necessary...and the key word here is "necessary."  Nobody really wants to have an abortion.

The key here is that my mother (and father) made a conscious decision to have a family.  They didn't do so for reasons of family or religious pressure, but because they wanted children and were prepared to raise a family.  My parents weren't wealthy.  There were times during my childhood where our family did struggle a bit financially, but my parents put aside the expensive cars and other luxuries at that time to make sure that we had a good childhood.  My father would work overtime at his job for the extra money.

So to all you pro-lifers out there, please get one.  I'm not with you, but I'm not against you either.  Abortion, while not a pleasant alternative, is sometimes the only one.  A child born into a family that can't take care of him or her is a far greater "crime" than abortion will ever be.  I realize that may go against the religious beliefs of some of you, but then we're not supposed to be basing our legal system on your religious beliefs.  However, in a majority of cases, even those who are pro-choice are generally looking to bring their pregnancy to term.  They want a family, and they have made their choice...which happens to be the same as your's.

No comments: