Monday, December 13, 2010

Where The Net Is Going

While going through some old files on my computer, I found something I wrote back in October of 1995 regarding what we saw the Internet becoming.  It seems as applicable today as it was then, and I think it bears repeating...

As I said in the discussion group, I think that there is a danger in people allowing another group of people - either government or private industry - to take control of what looks to be the most innovative form of electronic communication since the telephone.  Looking ahead, I can see an integrated communications pipeline that allows us access to what we currently know as telephone, television, video entertainment, and Internetworking (computer communications).  Is [sic] seems the natural progression as this new technology has the capability to integrate all these together.  As the pioneers of this technology, we need to see to it that it never becomes the wasteland that television has become, the "charged-by-time-and-distance" that the telephone has become, and the regulated medium that radio has become.  We, the pioneers of this new technology, need to police ourselves and lay the framework so that future generations of "netizens" can freely express themselves, and at the same time provide protection to those that may rightfully be offended by some of that expression.  It's easy to use without ever putting something back.  Let's make the net something that the next generation will be proud of us for.
If I knew then what I know now...

No comments: