Sunday, March 20, 2011

Note to Blogger

Okay, I do have one more thing to say...  I saw a message that Blogger (who does a fine job of hosting this blog) is planning to revamp the user interface.

Please, oh, please, do not force this on us...   Please.  I beg you.

What I see quite plainly on your sample "original version" screens is a landscape display with the entire web browser filling the screen and lots of empty space in the left and right margins.  That IS NOT the way my screen looks!  I don't fill my entire display with my web browser, and the screen resolution (on my larger laptop) is 1024x768.  If you force this new format on me, then I will be constantly using horizontal scrollbars to get to the right side of the browser window (where the useful content is, in your examples).

THIS CONSTANT FORCING OF PEOPLE TO FILL THEIR ENTIRE SCREEN WITH A WEB BROWSER IS WRONG, WRONG, and ENTIRELY WRONG!

How many Javascript wizards are we going to need to hunt down to rid ourselves of this nonsense?  I already am running a browser plug-in to get rid of Google's idiotic left-hand margin nonsense area so I don't have to keep scrolling to the right hand side of the browser content.

Seriously.  Stop it.  Cut it out.  I like having a terminal window open to my e-mail display and/or whatever else I'm working on, and keeping other non-web applications open simultaneously.  I don't want my whole screen to be a browser.  Give me that option.

Really, why on Earth would I want my picture and my name and everything on THE LEFT HAND MARGIN OF MY BROWSER when I already know what I look like and don't need to reference it all the time.

Sigh.  I guess I'm doomed to live life annoyed constantly by this.  What a depressing thought right before heading off to sleep...

1 comment:

AJDJ said...

Optionalization is good. (That's a word now.) Some people like their browsers filling up the screen.

A "Revert to Old Format" button or something would solve your problems.