Monday, November 7, 2011

R.I.P. Andy Rooney

I just found out that Andy Rooney - a person who was an inspiration to me in some subtle ways - died on November 4 at 92 years old.  I suppose, in a way, I could see it coming.  When Andy stopped appearing regularly at the end of 60 Minutes, I knew something had to be going wrong.  It was always clear to me that the grumpy old guy really did love being able to dispense his form of wisdom every week.  I say "grumpy old guy" truly in the most admirable way, since I really think that's exactly how Andy Rooney wanted to be remembered.  As grumpy as he was, though, I think he did so with the best of intention.  He always seemed to be able to cut through the sentimental crap and get right to the point on things.  This is what I admired about him and, in many ways, I think how he inspired me.  If Andy didn't truly care, deep inside, about the stuff he spoke about, he wouldn't have said it.  The people who didn't like Andy were probably those who expected the normal sugar-coated commentary they had come to expect from the usual news droids.

There were times I wanted to jump through the TV set and say, "Hey, Andy, the reason why they put cotton in pill bottles is to prevent the pills from banging against each other and breaking!"  Then I thought about it for a second and realized that was his way of saying, "Then why in heck didn't the idiots make the bottle the correct size for the pills?"

There is not a whole lot more to say except that I will miss Andy Rooney's commentary on 60 Minutes.  If  he were here right now, he'd probably be really pissed off that everyone (including me) was making such a big deal about his work after he died.  Well, that's okay.  We all grieve in our own ways.

No comments: