Saturday, November 7, 2015

If you don't have something nice to say...

Someone I know personally and knows that I write in this blog asked me recently why I haven't posted anything lately.  Actually, I was kind of surprised, because I didn't think anyone was actually reading this any more (especially that person).  That is actually one reason why I stopped writing.

The other reason I've kept quiet is because, frankly, I don't have a lot of nice (perhaps positive or pleasant would be better adjectives) things to say.   People who I once respected said things that brought me distress.  I see ignorant actions all around me by otherwise intelligent people that will ultimately affect how I live my life, and it isn't positive.  My creative juices are not flowing.  My job has me under a lot of stress.  Writing something here takes a lot of work, and most days I just don't feel much like venting to the world.

On the other hand, I do feel I owe it to the few people who read this from time-to-time something to read.  So here goes...

You People Are Nuts

YouTube is a great source of entertainment, and I get a lot of pleasure from several channels on that media.  At the same time, it has opened a door into a world of hate that I never expected to ever see.  Today I unsubscribed from several channels because the content was, in a word, toxic.  I have done this before with several channels, but this goes beyond a mere difference of opinion.

Exhibit one:  Thunderf00t vs. Laughing Witch.  A says a lot of things that annoys B (perhaps even provokes her).  B decides to start a letter writing campaign to A's employer to get A fired from his job.  B gloats about how A can't do anything like that to her because B works for her husband (ha-ha!).  B says she doesn't care about what happens to A and what A does about the letters.  People who like A show B that gloating about trying to ruin someone's career and then boasting about how nobody can do anything to her is a really bad idea.  B's life and business becomes a living hell.  B now plays the "victim card" and accuses A of provoking retaliation.

(edit:   YouTube content producer and blogger girlwriteswhat has a much more comprehensive and accurate account of the controversy here)

I'm sure that both A and B have their own version of the story and can support the reason for their actions, but as a third party looking in, this is the kind of childish behavior that has no business taking place between adults.  I believe that my bias in this case is obvious, but I do believe that I have the basic facts clear, as a third party looking-in would see.

"What is the subject of the conflict that caused this to happen?" you may ask...

Social Justice Warriors

There is nothing that can be said today that won't be interpreted as being oppressive to some group of people.  The concept of political correctness has been taken to a whole new level, with someone ready and willing to be offended by some comment or action, and thus requiring some kind of online activism.  The base argument between Thunderf00t and Laughing Witch center around Thunderf00t being opposed to the idea of women being a generally oppressed group (which Laughing Witch seems to feel is the case).

I understand that there are individuals under specific circumstances who are oppressed, discriminated against, or otherwise harmed in some way, sometimes even through hateful speech.  These specific circumstances should be addressed and we should move on.  So-called social justice warriors see these individual circumstances as part of a larger, endemic problem against a larger group of people that requires some kind of activism to solve as those people oppressed are allegedly unable to fight for themselves.  The activists utilize people's empathy and emotional responses to the individual circumstances to drum-up support for what is almost always not an epidemic and generalized problem.  It leads to the "you're either with us or against us" behavior that ultimately creates a rift between groups of people.

What happens when women are portrayed as a universally oppressed group of people?  It causes a rift between men and women as a group.  Think about this for a moment.  I know both men and women who are pretty despicable people.  I also know men and women who are wonderful, talented, strong-willed, influential, intelligent, compassionate people.  Where we end up on the scale of either extreme depends solely on our own actions.  Are there men who treat women badly?  Yes.  Are there women who take advantage of men?  Yes.  Are all women or all men bad people?  No.  Most of them aren't.  We may not always agree on every subject, but let's address those differences on the individual topics rather than accusing an entire gender of comandeering society as a whole and making it a living hell for the other gender (because we all know that just isn't true).

This goes equally for all races, sexual orientations, people with specific hair color, whether or not you like The Partridge Family, and so on.  There are actual groups of people who really do espouse radical ideologies and want to impose that on the rest of society.  Social justice warriors could be thought of as one of those groups.  Think about that.  We're very quick to condemn ISL's terroristic actions ("the ends justify the means" in their eyes).  We should be equally ready to be skeptical toward any group of people who's cause operates under the philosophy of "the ends justify the means" and "if you're not with us then you're against us."  You will not effect social change by forcing people to think the way you do.  You will only effect change by showing, by your own action, that the world is a better place when people behave the way you do.

Would you otherwise intelligent, talented, creative, influential, compassionate people do something more constructive than drive a wedge between people?

There Really Are Good Things Happening In The World

I know it doesn't seem like it sometimes, but there really are good things going on.

I admit it - I'm getting old and think today's "music" is garbage and can't stand to listen to it.  I know I'm not alone.  Here are a few ways you can feel connected to the younger generation without compromising your discriminating tastes in music:
  • TheUnsungHeroine (http://www.youtube.com/user/theunsungheroine) (Kristina Hu) does solo piano interpretations of EDM and popular music.  The production quality is near-professional and she sells some of her music on iTunes and amazon.com.
  • PJUB MUSIC aka. Choonstix (https://www.youtube.com/user/choonstix) (Pearl) also does solo piano interpretations of popular music.  Her style is distinctly different from TheUnsungHeroine.  Pearl tends to enjoy what sounds like texturing her melodies through what she plays with her left hand.  The production quality is fairly amateur and music isn't available for sale, but Pearl's performance is worth overlooking these downsides.
  • Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox (https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottBradleeLovesYa) is a group recommended to me by "Speck" recently, and interprets popular music as different traditional styles.  Be patient with this one because you probably won't like every one of the styles they do, and some of the videos appear a bit "over-produced."  That being said, the production and audio quality is excellent and their music is for sale both on iTunes and amazon.com.  Robyn Adele Anderson (among others) provide outstanding vocals on many of the songs.
I've recently gotten back into experimenting with electronic devices again.  Thanks much to Dave Jones of EEVblog who has given me some motivation to pick up a book again and start learning what I couldn't learn back in college.  After seeing his demonstration of the Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope, I purchased one and it is as useful as it looks.  Having a four channel digital oscilloscope makes it possible to debug a lot of microcontroller programming bugs, since you can actually see the signals coming out of the MCU.  This really is only scratching the surface of its capability, though, since that use case is really a minimalist logic analyzer.  I am looking forward to learning more about electronic theory (which will involve analog signals) and using the oscilloscope for its real purpose.

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered Kati Morton's mental health videos.  If you don't think you can learn something that will help improve your emotional state and interactions with others, then you probably need that education more than you think.  Kati makes complex mental health issues a lot more understandable and presents exercises that will give you a better idea when you're doing well, and when you can use a bit of outside help.

There's nothing that can lift one's spirits like sitting down with a cat.  I think it's time to do that now.

No comments: